Sunday, 24 August 2008

Juniper Ink

Guanaguanare, thank you for your interesting question:


"Chas, Sam and Max, this is the Trinbagonian blog that I have been waiting for all my life! I have added it to my list of blogs and I will visit you often. Now, I am in need of your help. Can you tell me what is the local name of the plant that the Amerindians use to dye their skin black? The botanical name is "Genipa americana" and apparently the dye is now in demand for body tattoing. Unlike some other black dyes which are poisonous, this dye, which the Tainos called "jagua", is not. The other good thing is that it fades after 15 days which makes it perfect for temporary tattoos. I am relying on your knowledge of the rainforest to discover what Trinbagonians call this plant as I have been told that it grows in T&T."



The Trinbagonian name is just Juniper , it grows in South and Central Trinidad.
Deer and manicou eat the fruit. The dye is found in the seed of the fruit.
We will experiment in the dry season and we would be glad if you could come.
PS. do you eat freshwater fish?




This image was taken from "Native Trees of Trinidad and Tobago" by Victor Quesnel and T. Frances Farrell. The other two were taken by Chas in Freeport, Central Trinidad.

7 comments:

Guanaguanare said...

Chas, Sam and Max, this is absolutely FANTASTIC! Thank you so much for responding to my request for assistance. Because of the work of the Rainforest Information Team, I can now associate a local name and geographical distribution with the plant. Chas, special thanks to you for the photos. This was so much more that I would have dared to request. Excellent work!

I know that you will be busy with your own explorations, but if you would like me to send more requests for info your way, just say the word.

Now about your kind invitation, that will be a long haul for the gull. I've been dying to do it and if I succeed, I will most certainly come by. And to answer your question, I do LOVE fish and that's why on the path to becoming a vegetarian, I can't seem to move beyond pescetarian (fisharian) level. Ah...fishhhhh! Is there anything more delicious?

Blessings always!

eye in de sky said...

Ahhh the Laughing Gull
Visited your site many years ago and even bookmarked it, so small this world .... so small

Aren't my Kids Great?
Seanos

Wuzdescene said...

WOW ... colour me IMPRESSED! :-)

Guanaguanare said...

Seanos,
Sorry about the delay! I didn't see your reply until today. Yes, I think your kids are wunderkind and your supporting them in this adventure is a brilliant example. I can imagine many of the ways in which this collaboration will benefit us all and it is a beautiful thing to witness.
Blessings!

Guanaguanare said...

Pardon me, Chas, Sam and Max, the plural "Wunderkinder" is what I should have used. Can't wait to read your next post.
Blessings!

Rita said...

Well said.

Chas, Sam and Max said...

hey,guanaguanare,whatever happened to your blog? not working anymore?