Saturday, 20 September 2008

A snake feeding

r


Today I found a lora (a thin green snake) eating a large tree frog . I climbed to the top of the tree to get a closer look and realised how (as you can see in the photo) the snakeskin stretched and the scales spread out when the frog was in it's mouth. The snake may not look green and I would have agreed with you if I had not seen the real thing.


I expect you will want to know how the lora catches its prey. After seeing this one, it is not at all hard to write. The lora curles up and makes sure that the prey can't escape. It then lunges for the head. The surprised animal struggles and secretes poison but the snake is immune to the frog's defences.


Gradually, the snake unhinges it's jaws and works the finally dead frog down its throat, the animal staying there as a lump. We do not know how long it stays there. The lump eventually goes away, leaving the snake to do as it wishes.



6 comments:

Guanaguanare said...

Very observant you are, to have spotted this snake having its meal. I have seen many of these snakes over the years but not once was I fortunate enough to see how it eats. Thank you for describing the process. Well done, Chas, Sam and Max!

Some say that that name "lora" comes from the Spanish word "loro" which means parrot. These snakes are also called "parrot snake" (I guess because of the beautiful green colour). I have also heard "Green Horsewhip" being used. Do you use any other local names for this snake? Do you happen to know the scientific name?
Blessings

witchypoo said...

Snakes scare me a bit, but I am fascinated by them. Good work!

Islandgirl said...

Chas, Sam and Max your photos (and the video which I had the 'joy' of seeing) are awesome!! Great tree climbing Chas, and good writing Sam. Keep up the nature adventures!

Anonymous said...

Wow boyos!! What a fantastic shot! You three are going to put David Attenborough to shame! Keep up the good work! Can't wait to see what's next!

Lots and lots of love!
Aunty Beans! xoxo

witchypoo said...

I've been excitedly waiting for another adventure in the rainforest. Has it become boring then?
Your fans await!

Anonymous said...

whoa!! chas! Sam! Max!! great shot!!
cool snake!
bye.
hayley millar